Tuesday, March 3, 2009

No Looking

It's sort of strange that most of the time when you go to the doctor they try to make you better, but when you go to the opthamologist they really f$%&* up your eyes. After getting my pupils dilated I spent half the day in a fuzzy haze avoiding bright light (ok, not the first time that's happened...) but on the plus side I kept thinking of one of my favorite songs, "No Looking" by The Raincoats. I used to play their self-titled album on repeat and dance around in my dorm room with my first (very crappy) electric guitar that came free if you bought a practice amp...I would sing/scream/speak along and feel perfect rock bliss for 35 minutes...highly recommended.

"No Looking" on Last.fm

Though I totally dig them, I was never as much of a Slits fan, but man Palmolive (who was in both The Raincoats and the Slits) is one of the coolest drummers EVER. She had her own crazy tom-centered melodic style, which hugely influence me in terms of the beats I program (and my lingering preference for toms over snare drums).

Now that I can see again I'm going to try to find some old Raincoats youtube video.

No comments:

Post a Comment