Monday, March 2, 2009

lost / found

Saturday night we got lost on Staten Island driving around on our way to a spa opening on the hunt for free wine & cheese. One wrong turn and we're on the top of this crazy steep hill with sweet houses hanging off the side and a great view of the Verazzano. Next time we go with sleds and a map.

Originally the plan was to get back into the city and catch Hunter Valentine and The And Wutz at Arlene's Grocery; I shared a bill with them at the GoGirls Fest show a few months ago. It was a disastrous show for me - my guitar was freaking out, one of the backline amps was on the fritz, I couldn't hear the loop pedal, and the mic feedback was pretty nasty. Kiyomi of Hunter Valentine lent me her guitar halfway through the set to try to help mitigate the shittiness of the show, which was pretty awesome of her to do considering (a) we had never met and (b) who knew whether the source of the technological trouble was actually some contagious voodoo hex that I was carrying? Her sweet sounding hollow body Gibson could have been the next victim....

We got into the city early enough to try to catch one of my favorite local bands, Cruel Black Dove, whose sound is a perfect cross between PJ Harvey & Nine Inch Nails. I was stuck with parking duty and only heard the last song...but in a happy twist of fate, my girlfriend got to meet a radio DJ from 91.5 New York Radio, who may feature Cruel Black Dove live + interview on her show The B-Sides (*local artists, you should check out this show and send in your CD).

Hunter Valentine rocked it, but we had to move the car before The And Wutz took the stage.

Damn city parking.

We went home and ate a million girl scout cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment