Monday, August 31, 2009

Boat Party

So Saturday morning I got a few messages about this cool boat party that takes place in Bushwick. I guess someone bought and converted an old Staten Island ferry which has quickly become a hot party spot for hipsters, dance freaks, and the occasional musical act, including Miho Hatori (of Cibo Matto and Gorillaz).

As I'm filling out the RSVP form, I get a text from Dan (our drummer):

"You around tonight? Nate is trying to book us for this boat party in Bushwick."

So... the afternoon was a bit chaotic. Victor, our synth player, was in Boston. We waited a while to hear whether it was confirmed. I tried to figure out what I would need to bring for backline and who was coming with us. But the stress was so worth it.

This place is hidden on a canal in Bushwick. Partygoers RSVP to the site, get a secret location where the shuttle bus gets them, and then travel behind a junk yard and through a narrow, shoddily constructed walkway, where they are greeted with fake snow, fog, and splash off water from the above ground pool that now rests atop the ferry deck.

Rain threatened to keep the audience thin, but eventually it subsided while the band got a little tipsy and gave Dirty Santa our toy list...



Later, Donna and I flanked Julie, aka The Party Goddess:



To be honest, I thought our set was pretty sloppy and I'm pretty I forgot to say our name, but we did have a stellar time...

No comments:

Post a Comment