Friday, May 22, 2009

New Musics

It's hard to stay on top of the music scene now that it's morphed into a massive MySpace ocean of disenchantment. Yeah, I said it. I don't have time to dig through all the hundreds of pages crap just to find one decent track from one up & coming band who really needs more time to evolve but somehow manages to catch my ear. So I subscribe to a few impressive blog of music excavation who do the work for me. And now I bring you:

My Favorites of the Favorites of My Favorite Blogs

Castrovalva - UK-bred balls-out experimental heavy rock. Makes me want to mosh on the couch.

Sea Sick - for fans of Bat for Lashes, Sea Sick has more edge - check out "XX" or "Ring of Fire."

Yonlu - this 16 year old Brazilian artist ended his own life about 12 albums too early. I get chills during "A Boy and His Tiger" when the tape speeds up... the genius of The Beatle's White Album blended with the rawness of Nick Drake.

Beth Jeans Houghton - another UK artist, but the flipside of rock. I'm not a huge folk fan - I prefer fringe folk like CocoRosie or Diane Cluck (check out "Easy to Be Around" or "I'm Your Here I Am" ) but Houghton's vocal strength and melody lines are undeniably impressive.

And that is the cream skimmed from the half and half of the 2% milk for this week. Check back for more stolen recommendations and ridiculous analogies!

No comments:

Post a Comment